Sunday, February 16, 2014

The Millennial Generation of Bowhunters

I am part of the Millennial Generation of bowhunters. 

We are that group of hunters who, it seems, have a higher focus on physical prowess than past bow hunting generations. Watching the shift in bowhunting from the stereotypical person driving around in a truck all day with their bow hoping for an opportunity, to that of a person willing to run up a mountain in chase of their dream has been a unique experience. It has also been a motivating one.

I cannot deny that my own love for physical fitness stemmed from a specific hunt my second year afield. It was a day I will never forget, complete with huge sage-covered hills, no water, miles of ground and one black bear. It took the horrifying experience of packing out a 200-pound bear to show me the importance of physical training. Since then, running, lifting and cycling have played a vital role in my hunting style. This same style has been exemplified by hunter-athletes like Cameron Hanes, who is a driving force behind the transition of turning many generations of bowhunters, old and young, into mountain-roaming beasts.

Maintaining a high level of physical activity has been paramount to my success since that sweltering late-summer day in 2002. Even today, 12 years later, I still believe this and look to continually push myself physically. That is why I am always looking for the next fun thing to keep the blood pumping!

So, if you're interested in joining me for an upcoming trail race, be sure to check out this link: Winthrop Rattler Trail Run, April 19, 2014

I believe wholeheartedly that being in the best shape possible does play an important role in bowhunting, and it has been a joy sharing some of my favorite running events through my blog as prepare for the hunt.


No comments:

Post a Comment